St. James Episcopal Day School was founded as a kindergarten by Mrs. Doris deBessonet in 1948. The school was given official status by the St. James Episcopal Church Vestry in 1951 under the leadership of the Rector, Parson Phillip Werlein. Today, St. James Episcopal Day School is a landmark in downtown Baton Rouge.
St. James Episcopal Day School is dedicated to the concept of a traditional yet innovative curriculum with developmental emphasis presented in a warm, loving, Christian environment. Our goal is to reinforce Christian values and the God-given dignity and individuality of each child as expressed through the Anglican tradition. Within this framework, we stress the pursuit of academic excellence, the development of self-esteem and emotional well-being, as well as the respect for all individuals.